[opendtv] Re: 3-D TV is not dead

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 16:52:17 -0400

Sales figures for "3D TVs" are meaningless. I worked on Fox's broadcast of the Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels Tour in 3D. With appropriate glasses, it could be seen in 3D on EVERY TV. There are many all-TV 3D systems. Anaglyph pay-per-view movies have been carried as recently as this year.

Even if one ignores systems that work on all TVs, consider what's involved in a typical active-shutter "3D TV": a tiny modification to the decoder/scaler code, an infrared emitter to synchronize the glasses, and as many pairs of active-shutter glasses as are included in the TV purchase (the figure seems to run from 0 to 2). That's no commitment to 3D.

The manufacturers who are offering passive-glasses systems are at least spending a little on screen filtering. I still await 3D TVs that can do the depth-correction processing that NDS described in their top-award-winning paper at IBC in September.

Anyone seen a TV that processes closed captions so they don't cause problems in 3D? Me, neither.

I happen to LOVE stereoscopic 3D when it's done right.  Today's 3DTVs don't.

TTFN,
Mark

On 5/5/2011 3:56 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
This is reminiscent of the nay-saying about HDTV, in the very early days.

The difference is, I couldn't believe my ears when I heard people poo-pooing HDTV, back
in the late 1990s, but I'm not nearly as sure about 3DTV. In fact, one thing that puts me
off to it is the oh so lacking in imagination and cleverness "frame compatible"
standard they are using, at this point.

Bert

------------------------------------
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4215761/3-D-TV-is-not-dead

3-D TV is not dead
Mark LaPedus
5/5/2011 12:39 PM EDT

SAN JOSE, Calif. - 3-D TV is not dead.

Driven by price declines and an increasing availability of content, worldwide
shipments of 3-D TVs will jump by 463 percent to reach 23.4 million units in
2011, according to IHS iSuppli.

Another year of triple-digit growth is expected in 2012, when shipments will
soar by 132 percent to 54.2 million units. Global shipments will breach the
100-million-unit mark by 2014 and then hit 159.2 million in 2015.

"In a major recalibration effort, television brands are changing strategies this year
following lukewarm response to 3-D in 2010 when consumers balked at the high price of sets and the
lack of 3-D content," said Riddhi Patel, director for television systems and retail services
at IHS, in a report. "In 2011, however, brands are marketing 3-D not as a must-have technology
but as a desirable feature, similar to the approach they have taken with Internet
connectivity."

Prices for 3-D TVs fell 9 percent during March 2011 compared to February,
according to the US TV Price and Specifications Tracker, a monthly IHS iSuppli
service that tracks U.S. TV prices.