[opendtv] 3-D TV is not dead

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 14:56:47 -0500

This is reminiscent of the nay-saying about HDTV, in the very early days.

The difference is, I couldn't believe my ears when I heard people poo-pooing
HDTV, back in the late 1990s, but I'm not nearly as sure about 3DTV. In fact,
one thing that puts me off to it is the oh so lacking in imagination and
cleverness "frame compatible" standard they are using, at this point.

Bert

------------------------------------
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4215761/3-D-TV-is-not-dead

3-D TV is not dead
Mark LaPedus
5/5/2011 12:39 PM EDT

SAN JOSE, Calif. - 3-D TV is not dead.

Driven by price declines and an increasing availability of content, worldwide
shipments of 3-D TVs will jump by 463 percent to reach 23.4 million units in
2011, according to IHS iSuppli.

Another year of triple-digit growth is expected in 2012, when shipments will
soar by 132 percent to 54.2 million units. Global shipments will breach the
100-million-unit mark by 2014 and then hit 159.2 million in 2015.

"In a major recalibration effort, television brands are changing strategies
this year following lukewarm response to 3-D in 2010 when consumers balked at
the high price of sets and the lack of 3-D content," said Riddhi Patel,
director for television systems and retail services at IHS, in a report. "In
2011, however, brands are marketing 3-D not as a must-have technology but as a
desirable feature, similar to the approach they have taken with Internet
connectivity."

Prices for 3-D TVs fell 9 percent during March 2011 compared to February,
according to the US TV Price and Specifications Tracker, a monthly IHS iSuppli
service that tracks U.S. TV prices.