[opendtv] Re: 2013: The year of the OPEN DTV?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 09:26:21 -0500

 Consumers already have to struggle with a bunch of TV remotes

Ever heard of Windows Media Center? No struggling with a bunch of remotes. And there were previous versions of this type of software. CE companies should easily be capable of licensing software from Microsoft or others, OR hiring programmers to do this in-house.

Yes Bert, we've all heard of Windows Media Center. But the fact is that you are one of a very small and elite (or is it extinct) group of users. Here is a comment from Windows chief Steven Sinofsky:
Our opt-in usage telemetry shows that in July, Windows Media Center was launched by 6% of Windows 7 users globally with the heaviest usage in Russia, Mexico, and Brazil (frequency and time). However, most people are just looking around; only one quarter (25% of 6%) of these people used it for more than 10 minutes per session (individual averages), and in 59% of Media Center sessions (by these 6% of users) we see almost no activity (less than a minute or two of usage). TV was the most common scenario we observed, and not surprisingly, traditional media (DVD and CD) are less common (and declining over time) than streaming and file-based content. By comparison, Media Player (66% of Windows users in July) and IE (88%) are popular rendering engines for all types of media content, including an increased volume of "premium" and streaming content.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-admits-people-dont-use-media-center-very-much-2011-9#ixzz2H6qSOKb2

Microsoft spent years pushing the idea of the connected home, with the PC at the center of that effort. As I said in the previous post, THIS IS NOT THE SOLUTION PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR.

And if the congloms decide to shut down the small number of people who use PCs connected to their TVs, this tiny number will quickly slip to ZERO.s

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you think people want to move a sup par, lean forward computing experience to the lean back environment of the living room, complete with a wireless keyboard.

By the way, you can hook a Mac Mini up to a TV too, and many thousands of consumers do this.

As Synofsky reports, viewing Media Player and content via IE are very popular, but these are desktop, not living room experiences. And the real action now is with tablets, and to a lesser extent, smart phones.

The future of the TV in the living room has NOTHING to do with an embedded chip running Media Center, or Google TV for that matter. I have no idea whether Apple can revolutionize yet another industry; personally, I would bet against it, for all the reasons we have discussed.

It all boils down to busting oligopolies and redistributing the hundreds of billions people now spend on their entertainment fixes.

That's what I just finished saying. The success of these Internet appliances DOES NOT depend on building some walled off content trove. Why should it for TVs? Why do Apple and now Intel think they need to rope off content? Why do the clueless trade press journalists not explain what's obvious?

One more time. Apple does not rope off content. Just like Target and Walmart, they SELL IT. And they also rent it. The content that is walled off is the stuff you rarely if ever see live, other than the crap that is released via broadcast television. I'm guessing you are not a big football fan; the only people who could see the BCS Bowl Games were ESPN subscribers.

That is the definition of a Walled Garden.

Sorry, Craig, you have a habit of transmitting before receiving. I am saying, TV content, both free and for pay, IS ALREADY available at a kazillion sites. Not just the obvious ones you mentioned. Do a freakin' search. The more time passes, the less stuff the MVPDs have that is truly exclusive.

Yes Bert. As has been the case since the early days of TV broadcasting, virtually all content eventually makes it way into broad distribution, at ever declining prices, sometimes free or ad supported. Nothing new here.

But for some reason, the American TV viewer choose to pay for first run and early access to content via an MVPD subscription. Shame on US!

The only way to end this monopoly control would be for viewers to stop watching. Unfortunately, the sheep have no more interest in doing this than paying attention to the political theater in the town where you live.

Perhaps we should call them "low information viewers."

What was the old saw about TV programming? That is is aimed at the typical seven year old?

All of this has been solved. The trade press should quit trying to invent new would-be messiahs, who will lead us to the promised land.

Sorry Bert, but these issues are far from being solved. You are among the two percenters, who like the way things are. To your credit you are not one of the sheep.