[opendtv] Re: 2013: The year of the OPEN DTV?

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 13:07:32 -0500

Each year at the HPA Tech Retreat, I open my "Technology Year in Review" with a description of the year. My 2013 version will begin with this being the 27th (or 78th) annual "THIS Is the Year of HDTV."

Among my criteria for not declaring the transition over are the number of broadcasts still protected for 4:3 aspect ratios and the types of press feeds being offered. I did a big-celebrity-contingent show recently, and the press feeds requested for clips were still analog NTSC video with analog mono sound.

BTW, the HPA Tech Retreat next month promises a bunch of exciting stuff. My favorite so far is a presentation by Sarah Pearson, head of the 1-3-9 Media Lab, on how viewers actually use TV and second and third screens. The lab spies on viewers (with their permission) in their homes. I've seen some of the video, and it's both amazing and enlightening!

She'll be followed by a presentation by the European Broadcasting Union on the future of TV. Some other highlights include 8K at the London Olympics, the REDRAY 4K player project, a lightfield-capturing motion-image camera, and how viewers watched live remote baseball games for half a century BEFORE television!

Here's the full program:
http://www.hpaonline.com/2013-program

The demo area is always interesting, too. It's where Panasonic introduced their Varicam and 3D cameras, Sony introduced their OLEDs and SR systems, Visible World introduced their targeted-commercials systems, and Lucas Digital showed the camera-attitude sensor used in the "Star Wars" movies.

TTFN,
Mark