[opendtv] Re: 2013: The year of the OPEN DTV?

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 03:32:20 -0500

Kon Wilms wrote:

Eh, sorry, SDP/SAP is a complete joke. You can't build much of
anything on top of those. Unless you like pulling your teeth out.
There is almost no reason to do data broadcast for CE rich media
anymore. Everything has a network connection. And anything
that doesn't isn't selling. It's dead, let's move on.

I could not agree with you more.

The only point I was trying to make is that ATSC is, in principle, as "extendable" as any layered protocol is, WITH the caveat that it is built over a one-way broadcast medium. As you say, by now everything has a two-way Internet connection, so playing games with making ATSC do sort of unnatural acts is mostly for the challenge of it.

Craig continues to be under the impression that ATSC is a "point solution," like analog TV.

I have to question whether one-way broadcast has a long term future. The reason is the limitation of one-way protocol, compared to the two-way options that are available and increasing in speed over time.

Here's the thing. As the last mile connection to individual homes approaches the aggregate bandwidth available in the broadcast medium, you really have to start wondering why you need that broadcast medium, yes? The network cores are becoming faster and faster, with upgrades like 100 Gb/s Ethernet soon in the ISP nets. The aggregate bandwidth available in the 12 ATSC multiplexes in my TV market is 233 Mb/s. Last mile bit rates for two-way Internet access are approaching or at 100 Mb/s (e.g. with FiOS). So, hmmm.