[opendtv] Re: 20060901 Free Friday Fragments (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Allen Le Roy Limberg" <allimberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 09:19:35 -0400

Mark Schubin wrote:

>      - Warren Communications News reported earlier this week that LG
announced Monday 8-VSB license deals with five more companies (Enseco,
Fujitsu, Hewlett-Packard, Jabril, and Orion).  Only three other have
previously be announced (Mitsubishi, Sharp, and Toshiba).

>      Notably absent are such giants as Matsushita (Panasonic), Philips,
Samsung, Sony, and Thomson.  An industry source has told me that (not
counting Samsung) those companies consider their intellectual property in
digital TVs to be comparable to LG's and, therefore, don't see a need for a
license agreement.

 A U.S. patent issued in 1992 has a life of 17 years, meaning that patent
will expire a week before the latest date for analog cutoff in the U.S.

 An 8-justice majority of the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that "a
patentee's use of a royalty agreement that projects beyond the expiration
date of the patent is unlawful per se".