[opendtv] Re: 20060901 Free Friday Fragments (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 21:10:23 -0400

I thought the $50 was the Zenith/LG estimate for an SD converter. I wonder if that will get cheaper once the patents expire.

For that matter, once the patents expire I wonder if LG will even be a champion of ATSC? Maybe it will have only inertia going for it.

Will other CE vendors wait until the patent expiration to release new stuff that needs fewer royalties?

- Tom

Albert Manfredi wrote:
Mark Schubin wrote:

  - The idea of the coupons was that they would cover $40 of
the cost of a $50 converter box, but, according to the sidebar
to this story, Thomson vp Dave Arland said that price was just
a "wish."  "Today these boxes would cost $200.  Nobody's box
today will cost only $40, or $50.  It will probably cost less than
$200 by 2009, but not as low as they want":

<http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/news/2006.08.23-n_NTIA.shtml>

Supposedly, the Samsung box due (I think it was) next month is to cost $168.

The real question is, if the guts of the built-in ATSC receivers now incorporated in TV sets are transplanted to a separate box, how much should that box cost the consumer? Seems to me that as a built-in component, that receiver is now very cost effective.

What's strange is that stand-alone STB prices (and performance) have stayed steady since what, Christmas of 2003? Something like that.

Anyway, the $50 guesstimate was made by the CE vendors, as I recall. It wasn't a mandate of any kind. The CE vendors can always claim that price to represent a SD-only STB with only an NTSC signal output, for example.

-- Tom Barry trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx Now seeking new full time position as video software developer Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com