[opendtv] Re: 20060901 Free Friday Fragments (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "peter wilson" <peter.wilson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 09:20:36 +0100

Hi all,
If its of any use a UK Digital Freeview Receiver STB for SD costs £24.97
($45)in the local Tesco supermarket.
Terrestrial boxes for HD @ 1080P50 & 720P50 will probably roll out in 2010
and the consumer will expect to pay no more than £75.
There are now significant numbers of 1080P50 displays shipping into the UK
which will need the STB upgrade for Terrestrial HD.
The interesting political battle is between SKY who have started HD on
Satellite and firmly believe they should have the exclusive on HD and the
Freeview camp who believe the consumer has the right to receive over the air
HDTV.
The switch off frequency allocations will be a very serious bun fight.
Peter