[opendtv] Re: 20050720 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:50:53 -0400

Mark Schubin wrote:

>    - Satellite DTT local-into-local - The reply comments
> of the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) to
> EchoStar's comments about the difficulty of DTT reception
> are worth reading.  It's a battle between the reports of
> two highly regarded engineering firms:
>http://www.nab.org/newsroom/PressRel/Filings/SHVERADistSigRecReplyEngSt
ate7505.pdf

Excellent points made in this.

One recurring theme seemed to be the need for reorienting
antennas. If a DBS company is installing these outdoor DTT
antennas along with their dish, it seems that the DBS
company's installers would be competent enough to install
more than one antenna and a diplexer as required, so no
antenna rotor is necessary.

In markets like this one, it seems the VHF towers are
effectively co-located, and the weird off axis transmitters
tend to be a few UHF stations only. Adding one UHF yagi is
probably going to be enough in most cases, and would be
aesthetically unobjectionable, IMO.

Furthermore, where aim is most critical is typically closer
in, where antenna gain would tend to be less of an issue.
So perhaps even an additional dipole, for an off axis VHF
antenna, would not be a big deal. As long as we're talking
about *professional* installations, none of this seems to
be remotely difficult to achieve or cutting edge technology.