[openbeosstorage] Re: Shit Happens...

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 18:24:52 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Axel =?iso-8859-1?q?D=F6rfler ?= wrote:

> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, I'll first check whether it is really the board, and if so, I
> > guess,
> > at least second hand is not too bad a chance. I'm a bit sceptical
> > buying
> > hardware components second hand, though.
>
> I might be exceptionally lucky, but I haven't made any bad experiences
> yet - and I bought a laptop, a graphics card, and a 68060 "Turbo"-card
> & a scan-doubler for my good old Amiga.

Perhaps you're right, and I'm sceptical for no reason, but my personal
experience with PC hardware in general hasn't made me very faithful
towards it. And that the component I'd buy from someone else, had already
been used by them and they apparently don't want it any longer, is not
exactly encouraging. :-P

> > > Argh. Mine isn't either. It didn't occur to me at the time, I'm sad
> > > say (though it'd be fairly easy to fix).
> > Earlier or later we should definitely fix it. But I suspect, there is
> > little chance, that there will be any alternative processor to x86
> > compatibles till R1. So it's not critical for the time being.
>
> You might actually be wrong here: it looks like I get a PPC board (G3/
> 600 MHz - fanless!) for free to port OpenBeOS over (which I'd happily
> do).
> And then, I will have to make sure that all sub-systems are endian-
> aware over time. But that's no big deal for the kernel in general
> anyway. That will also mean that I will probably have to write
> partition scanners for Amiga/Apple partitioning scheme (since IIRC
> that's what the firmware supports).
> Since it's open firmware based, it will also mean that we will get some
> drivers (like IDE/SCSI/and probably USB) for free (we will only have to
> write a small wrapper which enables them). So when we have our
> config=5Fmanager/devfs architecture in place, it's likely to be the first
> system to boot OpenBeOS from a hard drive and BFS volume (which will
> have to be endian aware, too).

Wow! That's amazing!

> > My old sound card, a ESS Maestro 2e, didn't work either. There was
> > even a
> > driver, but it crashed and Daniel Berlin never cared to answer my
> > requests
> > for the source code. :-(
> > So at least it wouldn't be worse, if the sound card wasn't supported,
> > but
> > I hope for an improvement, of course. :-P
>
> Luckily, someone wrote a sound driver for my laptop lately - I had only
> found the time to write a networking driver myself :-)

:-)

CU, Ingo