[openbeosstorage] Re: Shit Happens...

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 17:57:08 +0100 CET

Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I'll first check whether it is really the board, and if so, I
> guess,
> at least second hand is not too bad a chance. I'm a bit sceptical
> buying
> hardware components second hand, though.

I might be exceptionally lucky, but I haven't made any bad experiences
yet - and I bought a laptop, a graphics card, and a 68060 "Turbo"-card
& a scan-doubler for my good old Amiga.

> > > and 3) I somehow suspect the
> > > disk=5Fscanner module code not to be endianess aware (at least the
> > > partition module isn't).
> > Argh. Mine isn't either. It didn't occur to me at the time, I'm sad
> > say (though it'd be fairly easy to fix).
> Earlier or later we should definitely fix it. But I suspect, there is
> little chance, that there will be any alternative processor to x86
> compatibles till R1. So it's not critical for the time being.

You might actually be wrong here: it looks like I get a PPC board (G3/
600 MHz - fanless!) for free to port OpenBeOS over (which I'd happily
do).
And then, I will have to make sure that all sub-systems are endian-
aware over time. But that's no big deal for the kernel in general
anyway. That will also mean that I will probably have to write
partition scanners for Amiga/Apple partitioning scheme (since IIRC
that's what the firmware supports).
Since it's open firmware based, it will also mean that we will get some
drivers (like IDE/SCSI/and probably USB) for free (we will only have to
write a small wrapper which enables them). So when we have our
config=5Fmanager/devfs architecture in place, it's likely to be the first
system to boot OpenBeOS from a hard drive and BFS volume (which will
have to be endian aware, too).

> My old sound card, a ESS Maestro 2e, didn't work either. There was
> even a
> driver, but it crashed and Daniel Berlin never cared to answer my
> requests
> for the source code. :-(
> So at least it wouldn't be worse, if the sound card wasn't supported,
> but
> I hope for an improvement, of course. :-P

Luckily, someone wrote a sound driver for my laptop lately - I had only
found the time to write a networking driver myself :-)

Adios...
   Axel.