[openbeosstorage] Re: Shit Happens...

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 05:22:58 -0800

> yesterday my laptop stopped cooperating with me, or more precisely it
> doesn't come as far as to the BIOS info screen anymore. Memory and
> removable devices (CD rom, PC cards, HD, battery) don't seem to be the
> cause of the problem, so I've little hope, that it can be revived.
> While
> this is annoying in itself, it is even more so, since this computer
> was my
> main development machine.

Wow. That really sucks. :-(

> I mentioned in an earlier mail, that I have another box (a dual
> PIII-500)
> which is unstable. In fact it's much worse than just unstable. Some
> days
> ago I tried to transfer an ISO image via network to it, which always
> ended
> up with a wrong MD5 sum. Finally I split it into some 100 1MB pieces
> and
> transferred those. For about 20% of the files a wrong check sum was
> reported. Interestingly, when the check was run a second time, the bad
> files weren't the same ones. This happened with different HDs, so I
> suspect some controller (PCI or IDE) is broken. I wonder, if one can
> still
> get those mainboards with BX chip set.

Boy, I bet obsolete dual processor boards are tough to dig up. Even a
single processor board would be better than nothing, though, I suppose.

> I'm writing this mail on my last box, a sturdy, old PPC machine. I
> don't
> think, I will do any OBOS development on it, since 1) the build system
> does work with gcc only -- that could perhaps be fixed (at least for
> the currently interesting stuff), though I couldn't even check
> whether I
> break the gcc build with it

I'd be happy to help check/debug this from the gcc end, though.

> -- 2) the machine is simply too slow for
> our
> build system (I suspect the mere startup of Jam (reading Jamfiles +
> header
> scanning) would take a minute or longer),

Don't know how it'd compare, but I've done work on my parent's
PII-233... It kinda sucked, but I just learned to really make builds
count. :-)

> and 3) I somehow suspect the
> disk_scanner module code not to be endianess aware (at least the
> partition module isn't).

Argh. Mine isn't either. It didn't occur to me at the time, I'm sad to
say (though it'd be fairly easy to fix).

> To cut a long story short, I will either need to get my desktop
> machine
> running again or get a new laptop before I will be able to continue to
> contribute. Unfortunately my financial situation isn't so great, that
> wouldn't need to think about it.

Well, I hope you manage to get something worked out, but certainly
one's financial priorities must come first. If there's anything I can
do to help get things working, let me know.

> BTW, any hints regarding compatible laptop hardware? AFAIK the Radeon
> mobility is well supported,

Radeon support is wonderful, even for funky resolutions (e.g. 1450xXXXX)

> but e.g. soundwise I've no idea.

Mine doesn't work, so I'll look it up tomorrow and let you know (it's
terribly late at the moment...). My wireless card is unsupported as
well.

-Tyler