[openbeosstorage] Re: Getting rid of kernel_interface.POSIX.cpp

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:59:17 -0700

> > Yes, I am all for removing the separated kernel_interface, too.
> > However, how should the transition be done?
> > Right now, there are already some places where the Storage Kit directly
> > calls R5's syscalls - of course, those would have to be changed first,
> > as they don't build under Haiku, and I don't intend to add these
> > syscalls :)
> > My suggestions are these, either:
> > a) ditch R5 compatibility; we have our tests written, there is no need
> > to perform the tests for our kit under R5 when we can do the same under
> > Haiku.
> > b) conditionally compilable for R5; i.e. if some macro like
> > COMPILE_FOR_R5 is defined, _kstart_watching_ is used instead of
> > _kern_start_watching.
>
> I would in principle vote for a), but things are unfortunately a bit more
> complicated. The unit test framework uses quite a bit of BeOS API itself
> (and the STL!), so it might be not so easy to get the tests run under Haiku
> in the first place.

We're not really in any terrible hurry to get the tests working again
anyway. It would be nice to have them, but I don't think it's critical for
the time being. We'll have enough support for them to build and run under
Haiku eventually, and we can deal with any issues they uncover at that time.
So I'd say a) is fine with me too.

On 2004-06-28 at 14:53:05 [-0700], Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > They both use it. Basically all the actual MIME database related
> > > code lives
> > > in the Storage Kit. The registrar just provides the interface for
> > > interacting with it (or most of it; some of it is handled locally
> > > in the
> > > Storage Kit).
> > That reminds me that I never got to ask, why you moved the
> > {CreateAppMetaMime,MimeUpdate,UpdateMimeInfo}Thread stuff from the
> > registrar
> > into libbe. They aren't used in Storage Kit, are they?
>
> Yeah, Tyler, why did you do that? ;-))

You ought to have asked that when I did it, because I have absolutely no
recollection of the reasoning behind that anymore. :-) If I ever figure it
out, I'll let you know. :-)

-Tyler