[openbeosstorage] Re: Getting rid of kernel_interface.POSIX.cpp

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:48:53 -0700

On 2004-06-26 at 07:36:04 [-0700], Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am currently in the process of making our libbe.so replacement to
> work on top of the new kernel, or rather investigating what needs to be
> done to do so.

Cool. :-)

> While kernel_interface.POSIX.cpp (and the general approach behind it)
> is very useful for porting, is it planned to get rid of that extra
> level of indirection one day?

It's planned to replace it with routines that access the kernel
functionality directly, i.e. to add a kernel_interface.x86.cpp.

> Also, we don't yet have a libstdc++ - and yet, unlike the original
> libbe.so, we have several components using it (IIRC only the sniffer in
> the storage kit).

The MIME database stuff uses it as well.

> It would have been great if someone had thought about
> this particular dependency earlier...

I believe the attitude was that we had no choice but to include a libstdc++
in Haiku, since R5 had one publicly usable as well, so we might as well
take advantage of it if doing so would make our lives easier. I'm unaware
of what the difficulties of getting our own libstdc++ working are exactly;
do you have a good feel for that?

> Speaking of the Sniffer - what does it do there? I thought it was part
> of the Registrar and only used by the storage kit? Or is it common to
> both?

They both use it. Basically all the actual MIME database related code lives
in the Storage Kit. The registrar just provides the interface for
interacting with it (or most of it; some of it is handled locally in the
Storage Kit).

-Tyler