[openbeosstorage] Re: DiskDevice API v2.1

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:13:15 +0200 CEST

"Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Firstly, I wouldn't see the benefit of a file, if you have to
> > > create it at initialize time and can't change its size later on.
> > Doesn't hurt compatibility w/ BFS.
> Ah, right.

As long as you don't run chkbfs, there wouldn't be a problem with
compatibility to BFS, since you could just mark that area as used in
the block bitmap and any BFS will honour that without caring about
what's actually using it.

> Sounds more complicated though. In particular because the interaction
> between the system (kernel, disk device manager -- whoever is
> responsible for partitioning) and the FS will be more complex, since
> the FS would move the log file, which itself is a transaction that
> needs to be logged, and while the system is responsible for logging.
> guess, we need to work on the details before being able to do further
> evaluation. It may be worthwhile to pursue, though.

I'd say it's almost impossible to do with the way we are booting.
We currently have almost 800 bytes to load the 2nd stage boot loader
from a BFS disk. Now add locating (any chunks) and parsing of that log
file to it, and you'll undoubtely would need about 16 kB more :)
And worst case could be that these 800 bytes are also split in half
which would be really impossible to fix.

Adios...
   Axel.