[openbeosstorage] Re: DiskDevice API v2.1

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 18:23:27 -0700

On 2003-04-05 at 12:05:33 [-0800], Ingo Weinhold wrote:

> Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2003-04-05 at 08:00:25 [-0800], Axel D=3DF6rfler wrote:
> > >=3D20
> > >=3D20
> > > Yes, I have the same problems with it - especially because there
> > > are
> > > only 4 primary partitions on the PC.
> > > But the advantages it bring cannot be achieved otherwise (at least
> > > don't see a way).
> >
> > We should all think very hard about it and maybe we'll come up
> > with=3D
> > 20
> > something. ;-)=3D20
>
> We could simply use disk space not assigned to any partition, but I
> don't think, that's a good idea.

No, that's pretty sketchy.

> Furthermore, there is the possibility
> to use a logical partition instead of a primary one. This might
> restrict the options a bit, but at least no primary partition is
> wasted.

Yes. BTW, what is the difficulty in booting from a logical partition?

> > >=3D20
> > > If that data would lie on the boot partition, you would not be
> > > able
> > > resize or move that partition as well. And yes, RAID wouldn't be
> > > possible as well.
>
> Well, for software RAID you'll never get a around using a partition on
> a non-RAID disk (unless the BIOS supports it ;-).

Why is that (I know next to zero about RAID :-)?

> To store the data on the boot partition is an option, I think. I
> wouldn't use a file, but leave some room for the meta data at the
> beginning. ReiserFS for instance skips the first 64 KB. That would be
> space enough for quite a bunch of RAID settings and a small job
> journal. But even 1 MB or so wouldn't hurt. Perfect would be to make
> this an option when initializing the volume. Be's BFS add-on wouldn't
> be able to read such a volume, but I think, that doesn't matter much.

That seems like a good idea. Though why not in a file: the access
overhead, or contiguity, or...? If it were a setting at initialize
time, you could certainly guarantee a contiguous chunk.

> What's the benefit=3F I believe, then resizing and moving the boot
> partition is possible, too. Resizing should be no problem at all,
> moving is a bit more difficult, but managable, I think.
>
> > >=3D20
> > > Without an extra partition, the boot partition could only be
> > > resized/
> > > moved off-line, as with Windows :-)
> >
> > Actually, PartitionMagic allows online enlarging now of the
> > boot=3D20
> > partition. :-)
>
> Journalled=3F Could you please try and turn off power while resizing.
> ;-
> ))

Oh, I don't have that newest version, I'm afraid. :-P If anyone is
interested in ponying up the $70 US or whatever it costs, I might be
willing to see. :-)

> Damn, I should have waited till you propose to do it. ;-)

Ha. :-)

-Tyler