[openbeosnetteam] PPP, nameservers, DHCP, up/down reports

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenBeOS Network" <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 18:31:43 +0200

There is an extension in the PPP protocol that allows it to get the
nameservers without DHCP. Which module manages these nameservers? How can I
report these servers to the system?

How does the DHCP client know on which device and when to look for
nameservers, etc.?

Is there a possibility to tell the upper layers that an interface has been
set up/down? I want to know this because the complete PPP implementation
should support PPP(/-oE) servers that wait for incoming calls/connections.

Are interfaces set up by the core module (i.e., when the stack is loaded) or
by ifconfig (i.e., when the system is done with bootup)? I want to know how
early an interface is available to us. Could the kernel, for example, load
its users from another server through a modem that would have to connect
while the kernel loads all drivers?
Probably not with the current driver system because the ethernet module
searches for drivers instead of modules and nobody can guarantee that all
drivers are loaded when the ethernet module is initialized.

Thank you for your help.
More questions will come later... ;)

Waldemar