[openbeosnetteam] Re: PPP, nameservers, DHCP, up/down reports

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:13:56 +0200

> > I meant the operating system. There must be a table of nameservers
> > and the
> > IP of each device. How can I add my nameservers (and the assigned IP)
> > dynamically to that OS table? Is it a call to the IP and/or DHCP
> > protocol
> > module? It is a system-dependent question and has nothing to do with
> > the PPP
> > protocol itself.
>
> With a standard BSD stack, I would try to add it to /etc/resolv.conf -
> I dunno if this is the application approved solution, though :-)

Well, we need a better solution. :)
What about adapting Nathan's idea (attributes) for the protocols, too? We
could have a temporary and a permanent attribute table for each protocol.
The core module loads the permanent table for each protocol on boot-up and
saves it on shutdown (or on request).
The IP address of each interface is saved in a local attribute while there
should be global attributes for the nameservers.
The DHCP client could wait for the specified interfaces to go up and then it
sets the IP address and adds the new nameservers to the temporary global
table.

Waldemar