[openbeos-midi] Re: activity/status?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 00:53:19 -0500

>[...]
>> I would rather look at it as an example of the not really as free as they
>would have you believe  GPL biting us. :-)
>
>Well, the GPL is about freedom for the user also. And many library
>developers
>choose to use LGPL.

Oh no! Not license wars! ;-)
Just to save us all, I will say "No comment".

>[...]
>> Where to begin? I would look at the BeBook. That and the MIDI spec.
>> I would start by ignoring serial ports/USB all together and writing a MIDI
>parser
>> for files. A second development track could use the existing (Be's) parser
>and load and
>> play instrument files.
>
>Parsing a MIDI file is simple and better left to the application. The midi2

This is one of the places where it looks like Be and I had a difference of
opinion.
I honestly didn't believe that Midi2 didn't have format parsing, but you are
correct.
That *sucks*. I think that parsing the data stream (which, AFAIK is the same
from serial, USB or file)
is a *critical* piece. That and synthesis.

I would welcome comments from everyone on this, but I think that what we really
want (and maybe
what Be had in mind) is a combination of the two. Classes like BMidi,
BMidiPort, BMidiStore would be producers and/or consumers (from Midi2), and
would parse/encode  data from ports/files.

>kit does not
>provide any MIDI file parsing. A seperate MIDI file parsing library could
>always
>be added later.

Sure. As could MIDI support in general. But I think that adding a lot of this
upfront saves developers time, which is really the whole point.