[openbeos-midi] Re: activity/status?

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:36:38 -0500

>What's the status on the midi kit for openbeos? Have you already

Haven't really gone much of anywhere, yet.

>implemented anything? I saw on the list archives that you were
>planning on implementing the old midi kit. Why do you not start
>with the midi2 kit?

Because it isn't documented, no applications (that I know of) were written for
it,
and it is really outside the scope of an R1, in a way. Additionally,
implementing
JUST a midi2 kit would not give us backward compatability.

>Also, there are not that many midi applications
>for beos and for most the source is not available, so even complete
>source code compatibility is not needed. The midi2 kit in beos 5
>contained several bugs and was never documented. In dano it
>behaved differently. If I can do anything to help, say so. I'm
>working on a midi api for *nix.

We could definately use some help. But midi2 is in the same catagory as
the new interface kit and others. Probably better, but not backward compatible
with previous apps, so not in R1. OTOH, much of the work for midi would be the
same for midi2 (i.e. parsing midi files, reading and writing to the serial
ports, synth,
etc). So the difference between the two should not be 2X as much effort.