[ola] Re: keeping students in target language

  • From: Karyn LaCroix <karynlacroix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 22:08:35 -0700

Hi Andrew,
I only have a year's experience with OWL, but I here's what I had success with:
I put a flag and/or poster on the door which announces which country we are in
for the 90 minute class. When a student gets so frustrated that they are about
to lose it, I say and point, "Aqui Ecuador. No ingles. Alla Springfield
(Oregon). Ingles. Necesitas Springfield?" Once outside the door, it's usually
just a matter reassuring the student that he/she doesn't need to understand
everything that is going on in the classroom. Other times, they actually do
need a mental break (90 minutes is a long time!) and I let a student sit in
Springfield for 5 minutes. My daily routine also includes the last 5 minutes
for questions in English while they are writing down the vocab.
   You are lucky that you are able to start your career with OWL. Having come
from 17 years of traditional curriculum, I had to learn to be okay without
explicit explanations from me. My general advice is to have patience, don't
always jump in to "help", and use a lot of wait time.
Karyn

From: andrewvanwagenen@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:17:35 -0600
Subject: [ola] Re: July 22 - volunteers for video, Portland area!!!
To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello hello fellow OLA and OWLers,

First of all, best of luck to all of you as you start off the new school year!

My name is Andrew and I was first introduced to OLA this summer at Century High
School in Aloha, Oregon. The OLA conference there totally enlightened my mind
and inspired me as I move into my first year as a teacher. Being both my first
year implementing OLA and has a high school teacher teaching Spanish 1 & 2, one
of my biggest concerns is how to keep my level 1 and 2 kids, who don't know
much yet, in the target language. I would love if any of you could share any
strategies you use in helping your students only use the target language in
class. Thanks in advance and again best of luck this year.

Cheers,

Andrew

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Darcy Rogers <rogersdr25@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hola OLAers (I mean OWLers ;)

This is a call to arms for anyone near or around the Portland area! We are
doing a professional video and I would like to extend an invitation to anyone
who would like to be in the video. We are looking for OWL teachers who would
like to lead a circle and also anyone who would just like to participate in it.
You can bring friends, invite students, people off the street (jk!) ;) The
point is that it would be awesome to have between 10-15 people who
 would be part of the experience and have different people actually leading the
circle. I would really love to have as many of you who are free and would like
to be in the video..it would be really wonderful to have a wide representation
of who we are!!!!

On a side note, we are also trying to finalize a location to do it in. It would
only be for 2 hours on July 22 (time TBA). We have asked McMennamins if we can
do it there, but if you know if a better location, or if you think your school
might allow it, please let me know!!

Please respond to this email at either rogersdr25@xxxxxxxxx or
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to let me know if you can be there and/or know of
a good spot!!!

Im really excited about this and hope that some of you will be able to lead
and/or join!

Darcy Rogers

Organic World Language

Phone: 541.601.4509

Fax: 541.776.4099

Website: olaed.com

Facebook: tinyurl.com/organic-language-facebook

--
Andrew Van Wagenen

Department of World Languages

Corner Canyon High SchoolDraper, Utah