[ola] Re: assessing native speaker ability

  • From: Andrew Daitsman <adaitsman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:58:00 -0400

Emily,

I'm way behind on my email, but I hope this is still helpful to you a
couple of weeks later.  I would expect a native speaker high school student
to perform no higher than the advanced level, so I would first try to
establish a floor at the intermediate level.  Does the student create with
the language, forming original sentences to express themselves about
aspects of daily life?  Can they be understood by a sympathetic native
speaker?  After establishing that floor, I would probe to see if they
produce at the advanced level.  Can they narrate in the major temporal
frames (past, present, future)?  Do they have good control of aspect in the
past?  Can they speak in oral paragraphs about topics of general interest?

I would not expect high school students to perform at the superior level,
because the degree of abstraction needed at that level generally requires
more education than high school students have received.  If you can
establish a floor at advanced, you might want to probe at superior, in
particular by asking them hypothetical questions, but remember that not all
university-educated native speakers will reach that level.

Andy Daitsman
World Languages Department
Plymouth North High School
adaitsman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx