[ola] assessing native speaker ability

  • From: Emily Gerstner <emilygerstner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 19:57:56 -0400

Hola!

I have many native Spanish speakers in my classes. At my school we are
working to put students in the correct classes to begin with, but even so,
I struggle when it comes to getting a good read on their language level,
especially trying to rate them using ACTFL.
I think what is missing is being able to ask the questions that will help
me find the threshold of what is difficult for them. Even a solid
open-ended question like "Describe where you live and your opinions of your
neighborhood" doesn't necessarily show me the full range of what they can
do.

So, any ideas for good questions that would help me find out where their
language starts to break down? My ideas so far are asking questions that
invite the use of the subjunctive, or asking them about what they're
learning in history class which would require some high-level vocab. I
would also appreciate hearing about your experiences with native Spanish
speakers in your classroom. Thanks!

Emily