[ola] Re: Syllabus

  • From: Troy Longstroth <troy_longstroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:48:50 -0700

Hey all,

I've been working on my grading system with my teaching partner since
leaving boot camp.  I work at a proficiency academy, which means grades
aren't calculated by points, but by standards.  However, I've come to the
conclusion that meeting the ACTFL standard for a course doesn't necessarily
equate to an A.  Therefore, the following is what I've come up with.  It's
an attempt to grade by proficiency of 3 "standards," ACTFL, OWL skills, and
writing evidence (composition books).  Sorry about the large fonts.  I
copied and pasted this off of my class moodle.  I hope it's helpful.

Troy Longstroth
Spanish and Outdoor Recreation Teacher
Redmond Proficiency Academy

Standards and Grades

 This class is designed to give each student real Spanish listening,
speaking, reading and writing communication abilities.  Your grade will be
based on 3 standards that move you toward that goal.  The first standard
focuses purely on Spanish language ability, the second focuses on essential
communciation skills for any language, and the third focuses on writing
proficiency.  These 3 criteria are further explained below:

For a C grade (minimum proficiency) students must demonstrate:

*Demonstration of ACTFL Novice-mid abilities
*

In order to receive credit for this class and be ready to move on to the
next Spanish class, students must demonstrate proficiency in speaking and
writing at the novice-mid level as described in the ACTFL scoring guide.
Students' final oral and written exam of the semester will be performance
assessments to demonstrate their competency at this standard.  See the
description below for a basic understanding and the link further down for
more in-depth information about ACTFL proficiency levels.

ACTFL Novice-mid speaking description:

Speakers at the Novice Mid sublevel communicate minimally by using a number
of isolated words and memorized phrases limited by the particular context
in which the language has been learned. When responding to direct
questions, they may say only two or three words at a time or give an
occasional stock answer. They pause frequently as they search for simple
vocabulary or attempt to recycle their own and their interlocutor’s words.
Novice Mid speakers may be understood with difficulty even by sympathetic
interlocutors accustomed to dealing with non-natives. When called on to
handle topics and perform functions associated with the Intermediate level,
they frequently resort to repetition, words from their native language, or
silence.

For a B grade (proficiency plus) students must demonstrate:

ACTFL Novice-mid abilities plus *consistent evidence of the following OWL
Skills*

Organic World Language skills:

     1.  Staying 100% in Spanish in class.

     2.  Take risks and be willing to make mistakes with the language.

     3.  Being able to infer and circumlocute to communicate.

Students will be assessed according to the OWL criteria each week and their
performance will be posted on FOCUS.  Consistent difficulty or success on
weekly OWL goals is a strong predictor of student progress toward his/her
ACTFL oral standards.  Weekly performance will accumulate and the pattern
over time will demonstrate overall OWL skills proficiency.

For an A grade (exceeds basic proficiency) students must demonstrate:

ACTFL novice-mid abilities, OWL skills, and ample evidence of writing
through completion of the class *Writing Journal*

Student achieves ACTFL level novice-mid, shows consistent proficiency in
the OWL skills, and completes his/her writing journal.  Writing assignments
will be given often throughout the semester and all responses should be
recorded in the students' composition books.  The composition book must
have the following:

     1.  A table of contents that shows each prompt and the number order in
which they were assigned.

page in your composition book and must be contain:

          a.  the prompt number

          b.  the date of the prompt

          c.  the prompt

          d.  the response
 Consistent performance by students in their composition books is a strong
indicator of their preparation for success on the final ACTFL writing
assessment.  To meet the standard, journals must be 100% complete and the
writing must show genuine effort and quality.

--
Troy Longstroth
Spanish and Outdoor Recreation Teacher
*Redmond Proficiency Academy*