[ola] Re: Progressions

  • From: Thomas Hinkle <thinkle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 21:55:21 -0500

Darcy,

(Sorry for the email fail there -- some sort of trackpad error sent the
message before I'd even started really typing it.)

What I find myself questioning in my own practice are values 4 & 10:

4. Student interest drives the curriculum and students talk about their
lives and/or the topics created in class. This includes world events,
interdisciplinary and social justice topics.

10.Paradigm shift where teachers and students, instead of focusing on
pre-prescribed vocabulary, stories or textbook units are focusing on: 1.
The skills necessary to acquire a second language 2. Language level (by
ACTFL standards) 3. Creating community

The questions are largely based on my own practice, and my knowledge that I
can do a pretty good job putting in planning hours early in a semester and
following a plan but that I'll get lazy planning on-the-fly and we won't do
much. I also think that certain topics are just more likely to come up
"on-the-fly" than others, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're the
most interesting ones, and so it may be that we spend inordinate amounts of
time practicing vocabulary where there are referents available (clothes!
body parts!) and ignore other areas that might not pop up as easily or as
naturally. Obviously with strong planning of progressions you can reach
those areas -- I'm not saying you can't -- but the question for me is
whether you're more likely to reach them that way.

I realize that I'm unusual in never having taught a traditional
textbook-driven course, so when I talk about units, I'm not talking about a
textbook unit, but the kind of rich content-based unit an OWL teacher might
come up with. I understand your comparison of an organically derived
discussion of superheroes with a forced unit on reflexive verbs and the
morning routine, but there's no reason (I think) that planned units have to
be bad units.

What's more, planned units, shared in a collaborative community such as
this one, could allow enormous resource sharing and development. The
question is not whether organically derived units are better than mediocre
textbook units; the question is whether units built around real
target-language resources + a strong understanding of proficiency levels
might be even stronger, and become helpful ways for us to get ourselves out
of ruts and to insure we are exposing students to an appropriately wide
variety of language contexts and content.

Tom