[ola] Re: Preterit vs. Imperfect... seeking advice

  • From: Stel Schmalz <sschmalz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 06:51:53 -0400

When I taught this in the past, I too started with childhood and pics.
 Then I introduced some simple books like "Yo tenía un hipopótamo (very
simple)-  text example- yo tenía un hipopótamo ..pero se lo dí a mi
hermana, yo tenía un caiman...pero se lo dí a mi padre, etc.." or even
better "el secreto en la caja de   fósforos   because this one is a little
more "meaty" but still simple (I just looked on Barnes and Noble and they
have used copies of this one for $2).

I did a lot of stuff breaking down the book/matching the text with the
pictures/ handing out text strips and having them put them in order,
answering questions about the book (that target P and I).  After that, I
had them write/illustrate their own simple children's books.  Those who
weren't good artists were able to go online to download pics, or they also
liked to illustrate using cut outs from a magazine.  Most of the kids loved
 writing their own stories and once that's done, you have so many options
with the stories- you can have them read their stories aloud to the class
("story time with....) and have them prepare follow up questions, you can
have silent reading time, where they read and "critique" each others books,
etc.. and you can even ask them to donate their books and start your own
class library.

Another idea..

You can show a crime (from one of the MANY crime shows on TV or a movie
scene) w/o volume and have them describe the setting- all the details- "set
the scene", and then have them watch it again, this time describe the main
action.  Again, you can then turn it on them and have them videotape their
own crime scenes (not too gruesome) and either ask the kids to describe
their scenes aloud, while it's happening, or have the class do it for each
scene.  Haven't done this one yet, but have often thought it would be fun.

Stel