[ola] Re: Preterit vs. Imperfect... seeking advice

  • From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 04:38:29 +0000

I introduce the imperfect with childhood - the kids bring in a picture of when
they were 5-10 years old and bring in their most loved possession from their
childhood and then we ask questions about both - how old were you in the
picture? what were you like? what did you like to do? describe your lovey, your
family, where you lived, what was your favorite music? did you like boy bands?
etc...   I also show them ridiculous pictures of me in high school and as a
child and tell them my childhood story. They have a lot of fun with this. :)

Telling stories they already know in English, such as the fairy tales you
mentioned, is really great. We will be reading Ferdinand the Bull next week -
it has really beautiful illustrations, it's set in Spain! and the text is very
simple and comprehensible but a perfect example of how to use the preterite and
imperfect together.

JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School