[obol] Re: today's quiz

  • From: Stephanie Hazen <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 19:59:07 -0800

OK, lurking obolites….I only had one reply. Lillian said her husband thought it
was a displaying male Anna’s hummingbird, and he is correct!

I will keep trying to video the actual bird.  So far, I have only gotten 2 more
videos with the sound, but no bird.  This particular bird is swooping over
our hummingbird feeder.  I think he is advertising that he owns some
particularly good real estate, or perhaps he is a barfly, hoping for
a cool chick to come through the doors!

Click on link below to read a complete discussion of the noises various
hummingbirds make with their tail feathers, coming out of a swoop…
part of their display.

http://news.sciencemag.org/2011/09/dive-bombing-hummingbirds-let-their-feathers-do-talking

To me the sound the hummingbird makes with its tail sounds like the short
chirp red-winged blackbirds make sometimes, or my sneaker being stubbed
down a vinyl floor, or a smoke alarm that needs a new battery!

Anyway, another way to bird by ear!  If you hear a chirp in the woods, it
probably
is not a dying smoke alarm.

Stephanie