[obol] Critters while trekking east on I-84

  • From: "L Markoff" <canyoneagle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 19:59:24 -0800

After dropping my daughter off in Beaverton today I went east on I-84, on a
quest for a special bird.  I didn't have time to stop because I wanted to
make Pendleton before dark, but I picked up a few treats as I trekked along.

Near milepost 85 in The Dalles a male Cooper's Hawk flew across the road in
front of me, so close it caused me to slow down.  His adult plumage was
especially vivid in the sunshine...a knockout!

Near milepost 115 a bit east of Rufus I got the best critter of the day, a
ram Bighorn Sheep!  He was standing about 20' from the road gazing slightly
ahead of me, looking very noble.  I said to him, "Stay, stay.  Stay right
there looking noble, DO NOT try and cross the road, please!"

Near milepost 156 somewhere between Arlington and Boardman I spotted my
first Black-billed Magpies of the trip when 7 of them flew across the road,
but thankfully not so close that I feared I would hit them.  Magpies are
always a day brightener for me, love them!

Near milepost 164 getting close to Boardman there was a pair of Red-tailed
Hawks sitting on the rim of a nest, having a chat I guess...ah love.

Still thinking about that Bighorn Sheep!

Lori Markoff

Eugene most of the time, currently on the road