[obol] Clackamas County, Saturday, 3/7

  • From: Tim Shelmerdine <tim.spanish.guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 19:47:35 -0800

Hello, all.
Russ Namitz and I spent a good part of today birding Clackamas County. We
started in the mountains hoping that the Pine Grosbeak invasion had reached
Clackamas County. We tried a couple of likely spots, with no luck. Perhaps
our luck would have been different if we had been able to spend some more
time hiking trails.  There was no snow at all on Skyline Road (FS Rd 42)
between Hwy 26 and Timothy Lake and quite a few people were taking
advantage of the clear roads. We did find a couple of decent county birds
in our wanderings. We finally had a male WILLIAMSON'S SAPSUCKER (after
seeing and hearing several RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS) on FS Rd 58. We had one
HORNED GREBE and two COMMON GOLDENEYE on Timothy Lake, one GRAY JAY and two
CLARK'S NUTCRACKERS among the hoards of people at Timberline Lodge. A
MERLIN was plucking something along a small tree along the Canby-Marquam
Rd, In my opinion, our best bird was a singing BLACK PHOEBE under the
bridge over the Molalla River on S. Ivy just south of Canby. While we
worked hard for our birds, it was a great day to be out.
Cheers,
Tim Shelmerdine