[obol] Re: eBirding

  • From: Forrest English <forrest.english@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ruffledgrouch@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:19:08 -0700

Yes, I should know better than to talk about eBird on OBOL, but I'm going
to give it a shot.

Some regional editors have more cautious filters than others. It doesn't
mean it's necessarily truly rare (and I'm fairly sure they know this). It
can be helpful to the editors receive notice when even uncommon birds are
seen if they are trying to better refine the filters, or if there are
specific concerns with confusion of a more common species.

The editors, while not perfect, are doing the best job they can to provide
a little bit of quality assurance to the data that I think we all value.

Also, unless I'm mistaken you have to opt in specifically to receive alerts
of rare birds in your email.

Back on topic... I'd actually say that the range of Northern Mockingbird is
beyond the areas you just mentioned, as we certainly have them in SW Oregon
as well (and no, it's not on our rare lists).

--
Forrest English