[obol] eBirding

  • From: clay crofton <ruffledgrouch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 15:04:31 -0700

My greatist peeve about eBird is the "rare" reports. I am willing to waste
the time filling out write-ins if the bird is actually a vagrant. Mostly
they are not. The self appointed guardians of the knowledge need to back
off on that. Example, Sibley shows the normal range of Mockingbirds from
south central through south east Oregon. However, eBird requires they be
writen up as "rare" in all three of the relevant counties. Hummm? Doesn't
the scientific method require acceptance of all data to give accurate
results?

P.S. Recently figured out the the preferences page allows ebird
contributers to opt out of the "rare" alerts.

--

*Happy birdingCLAYClosed yahoo account and encourage you to not use yahoo.
Please note my new email address*