[obol] Madras BBS route results

  • From: <towhee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,OBOL < Obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 14:55:31 -0700

Greeting COBOLers and OBOLers:

Last summer I was looking to add another breeding bird survey, when Paul
Sullivan announced his retirement from a route near my home.  Today I ran the
Madras BBS for the first time (18th consecutive year this route has been
surveyed.)

The route begins 4 miles east of Madras near the  Deer Ridge correctional
facility (no jail birds observed).  It travels south primarily through the
Crooked River National Grassland.  Paul didn't let on what a beautiful route
this is.  Cascade peaks from Mt. Jefferson to Mt. Bachelor are almost always
within view.  Route travels down a few narrow canyons, some juniper scrub, some
sagebrush scrub, and ends in some irrigated ag fields.  The first 40 stops are
mostly quiet, save for a couple stops near Hwy 97.

Weather conditions were ideal for the count--winds under 3 mph all morning
long.  Raptors, bluebirds, Brewer's, and Vespers sparrows were especially
abundant.  I observed 49 species (route high is 52 from 2011; route average is
45.9) and 711 individuals (well above route average of 464; but far below the
route high of 1264 from 1997).   A few highlights:
Stop 1 -- a pair of Great Horned Owls calling to each other
Stop 5 -- a pair of Prairie Falcons cavorting in a narrow canyon
Stop 27 -- a pair of Northern Harrier hunting a cattail marsh.

And now the details:
California Quail        8
Turkey Vulture  1
Northern Harrier        3
Swainson's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 12      (route high)
American Kestrel        15      (route high)
Prairie Falcon  2       (route high)
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2
Mourning Dove     41
Great Horned Owl        2       (route high)
Common Nighthawk        5
(Red-shafted Flicker) Northern Flicker  15
Gray Flycatcher 35
Dusky Flycatcher         4
Say's Phoebe    2
Ash-throated Flycatcher 33
Western Kingbird        6
Loggerhead Shrike       3       (route high)
Black-billed Magpie     22
Common Raven    93      (route high)
Horned Lark      6
Violet-green Swallow    9
Cliff Swallow   9
Mountain Chickadee      3
Bushtit 10
Rock Wren       3
Canyon Wren     4
House Wren      8
Mountain Bluebird       18
American Robin  19
Sage Thrasher   13
European Starling       7
Green-tailed Towhee     3
Spotted Towhee  10
Chipping Sparrow        10
Brewer's Sparrow        60      (route high)
Vesper Sparrow  57      (route high)
Lark Sparrow    1
Sage Sparrow    2
Savannah Sparrow        0       (uhhg, only the third miss in 18 surveys)
(Oregon Junco) Dark-eyed Junco  8
Lazuli Bunting  3
Red-winged Blackbird    19
Western Meadowlark      63
Brewer's Blackbird      36
Brown-headed Cowbird    5
Bullock's Oriole        0        (first miss in 18 surveys--Paul might revoke
my invitation to do this route)
House Finch       8
Lesser Goldfinch         1
American Goldfinch      7
House Sparrow   4
Total Species   49      high 52 in 2011 (average 45.9)
Total individuals       711     high 1264 in 1997 (average 464)

Good birding,

Mark

Mark A Gonzalez
Bend, Oregon