[obol] Re: dowitcher picture, help with ID

  • From: Bob Archer <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 19:57:07 -0700

Hi All:

I'll take a stab at these..would like to know what others think of my
reasoning..I am assuming    Bird One and Two are NOT the same
critter..please Brandon, tell me they are not the same bird :)

Bird 1:

Long-billed

1) white tips to upper coverts are at the tips only, giving it a block look.
2) orange comes down onto the entire belly
3) black on side of breast is barred not spotted
4) breast looks frosty.

Bird 2:

Short-billed

1)  black on side of breast are spots not bars?
2) black primaries come down way past the tertials..are they still growing?
3) bill looks very short
4) white on upper side is in the form of V''s rather than blocks, (white
comes farther up the side of the feather), Some SB's can be whit here
rather than light brown on the edges..
5)  whole back looks paler

Bird 3:

Long-billed

1) White on coverts and scapulars give them a block look rather than
V's...(some Short-billed have white other tan on these feathers..)
2)  unusual that primaries extend past tertials, but still LB Dow..
3) looks frosty in the breast but looks like still getting alternate plumage
4) hard to say if black on sides of breast are spots or bars, but will go
with bars..
5)  Over all back looks dark.

When I want to remind myself how hard these can be I go here:

http://tgreybirds.com/Pages/ShortbilledDowitcherp.html

and here:

http://tgreybirds.com/Pages/LongbilledDowitcherp.html

Bob Archer..