[obol] Linn County birds

  • From: Mark Nikas <elepaio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 20:20:48 -0700

Obolites,

I spent yesterday covering the Brownsville area for the NAMC then spent the
night owling the Santiam Pass area and returned to Eugene via the McKenzie
Highway to check the string of mid-elevation lakes there. I saw very few of
the migrants we were supposed to be counting. I had a better showing of
warblers and vireos this afternoon in my yard. At 22, BARROW'S GOLDENEYE
numbers were less than half of past spring counts on the Hwy 126 lakes. Jeff
Harding noted the fewer numbers of Goldeneyes also and suggested that
perhaps the larger numbers of unfrozen lakes and ponds earlier this year
played host to some of the missing birds. I like that idea.

A latish SOLITARY SANDPIPER was at the rice ponds located south of
Brownsville along Gap Rd. An adult Bald Eagle pair has taken up residence
there the past few months but they are not nesting. The owner says they
have been snacking on the numerous goslings there. The eagles like to perch
on the oft used Redtail Hawk nest there so the Redtails decided it was time
for new digs and moved their nest further east on the farm. Locally
uncommon birds seen here were AMERICAN BITTERN, WILSON'S SNIPE winnowing,
WILSON'S PHALAROPE, VIRGINIA RAIL, WRENTIT, MARSH WREN, and YB CHAT.

The native prairie plantings at the Diamond Hill Rd. restoration wetlands
have matured nicely. Unfortunately, they make viewing the interior of this
productive site near impossible. There is no public access and all viewing
must be done from the road. (If anyway running this project wants a free
monthly bird census taker I volunteer). There were at least 10
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS audible and visible through the vegetation though.

The Belts Rd. grasslands had many LAZULI BUNTINGS, 4 VESPER SPARROWS, and
at least 1 GRASSHOPPER SPARROW. All sat obligingly for photos.

I was up there and planned on checking but back problems made my hike
unpleasant so I turned back about half way down. I did have a Barred Owl
come in close to a poor Spotted Owl imitation which was pretty cool. I hung
around the area hoping I might hear the cranes as there calls carry far but
I heard none.

A male SURF SCOTER was on Fish Lake. It spent the whole time following
around a female Barrow's Goldeneye. This is Linn County's only spring
record and a very rare spring record . Anybody know of other spring scoters?