[obol] Re: deciding about Plumbeous Vireo sightings in Oregon

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom Crabtree <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 10:47:56 -0700

Tom et al.,

The Denny's have a breeding record of Plumbeous but I imagine skeptics
would want details. There are also some accepted records but once
again, skeptics probably do not think any of them should have been accepted
without convincing photos.

Virginia Warblers breed in the same area as the vireos. I know many long
time birders (Alan C. for one) have never seen that species in SE Oregon.
Rich Hoyer found one during the BBA days though- it was singing as I
remember. Since then, I cannot think of anyone finding singing Virginias
in Oregon as Rich did. Perhaps Virginia Warblers only stray to Oregon once
a decade or so. I imagine it could be the same for the vireo. It is hard
to believe that they are breeding a couple hundred miles south and never
overshoot into Oregon once in a while (like once a decade or whatever).

Certainly Plumbeous Vireo has been misIDed more than once in Oregon. Let
the search continue though!

Tim R
Coos Bay

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 9:59 PM, Tom Crabtree <tc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Paul,

I disagree with your premise that “there is judgment here.”

The question “are there Plumbeous Vireos in Oregon?” is not a judgment –
it is a question of fact. Either there are or there aren’t. If there are,
no one has documented it yet. If there aren’t that’s just the way it is.
Can Johnny count it? That’s up to Johnny. We have people counting all
sorts of things in this state. Do people count Mute Swans? I’m sure
someone does. Do people count Bobwhite, White-tailed Ptarmigan, or
Sharp-tailed Grouse? I’m guessing so. How about Smew, Black Duck or
Newell’s Shearwater. Count on it even though good arguments can be made on
all sides of that. There are no List Police that haul you out of bed in
the middle of the night and go over your life list one by one telling you
Yay or Nay. Will the Records Committee accept Johnny’s record? That
depends. If it is well written and convincing, yes. If it says, “I saw a
“Solitary Vireo” that was all gray and didn’t look like a Cassin’s,” then,
no it won’t.

If you are waiting for the quick & easy no fail ID answer and you aren’t
interested in how we get there, or the steps along the way, my question for
you would be of the 200 birds you have in each county, how many are
empids? Are you sure about all those? Even the ones in the 70s and 80s?

Tom

From: paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 08:57:12 -0700

I’m with the Pope on this one:

“Who am I to judge?”

Paul Sullivan

P.S. You can add Common Pochard, Long-toed Stint, and wintering
Swainson’s thrushes to that list, too. Just don’t go there.