[obol] birding at Malheur and Klamath Falls

  • From: Nikki Chapman <nikkichapman19@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 09:01:45 -0700

Hello All,

Finally got some pictures on flickr from recent tip down south that I
wanted to share with bird community. This was 10.07-10.09, so conditions
I'm sure have already changed. I only birded the south portion of Malheur,
the CPR and Page Springs area, so no HQ, Narrows, etc. I had heard that
not much was going on up there, with still very little water around the
Narrows, so decided to skip it. It was kind of quiet overall for birding,
not yet full migration for many species. Of course, that whole timetable
seems out the window lately..

*Northern Flickers* were the most predominant bird, it was pretty funny,
them and* Ring-necked Pheasants. White crowned sparrows, ruby and golden
kinglets, Townsend's Solitaires and Magpies *rounded out the remaining.
Over at the P Ranch barn, I saw three *Great Horned Owls*, two* Red-Naped
Sapsuckers,* some *Cedar waxwings* and two *Turkey Vultures* on the tower
in evenings. Mostly *Mallards, Coots*, and a few *Ring-necked ducks* on the
water. *Red-tailed hawks* and a couple *Northern Harriers* were the hawks
seen.

Klamath was a first time trip for me and I was amazed! How lucky for you
all that live in the area.
Did Upper and Lower Klamath Lake and Tule Lake. I had checked some of the
numbers before heading down and couldn't believe the amounts listed, but it
was true. Thousands and thousands, how do they tabulate them? *Coots,
Northern Shovelers, Green and Blue-winged Teals, Widgeon's, **Western,
Pied-Billed and Eared Grebes *were in the higher numbers. Saw *Snowy
Egrets*, a large flock of *Great Egrets*, colony of *American White
Pelicans*, lots of incoming *Snow Geese*, good numbers of *Bonaparte's
Gulls*, and one* Long-Billed Curlew*, with no picture sadly.
The predominant passerines around Klamath were *Audubon's Warblers*
and *White-Crowned
sparrows,* with hawks being again the* Northern Harrier *and* Red-tailed.*

Warning, my flickr site also mixes in landscape shots from a couple of
eastern desert locales I also was visiting, so just scroll down a few until
you see birds from the 10.18 post. I can't wait to get back down to the
Klamath area this winter to see how it changes and maybe see the winter
eagles!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132973942@N05/

Happy birding to you all!
Nikki Chapman