[obol] Re: Swainson's Thrushes near Dallas

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 07:34:55 -0700

Hi Mitch & All,

I thought I was hearing a Swainson's Thrush up the hill from our place,
yesterday morning, so good to know I'm not the only one!

About Mountain Chickadees, I checked briefly at Luckiamute State Natural
Area (Luckiamute Landing) on Friday morning. I only saw/heard
Black-caps. I saw that Bill Tice had the same idea, later in the day,
and had the same result.

With access to the upper reaches of Marys Peak closed due to the meadow
restoration project (both roads and trails, per Siuslaw NF's website),
the often-neglected peaks of Polk County (Grass Mountain, Bald Mountain
a.k.a. Monmouth Peak, and Sugarloaf) might be the next best place to
look for wayward Mountain Chickadees in the mid-valley region.

Happy birding,
Joel

From: Mitch Ratzlaff <mitch.ratzlaff@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [obol] Evening Swainsons
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 19:58:00 -0700

I'm hearing an occasional SWAINSONS THRUSH call overhead tonight as we
finish our pressure canning outside. Love that sound.

Been watching and listening for Mountain dees here in Polk County the
last week to no avail. If anyone sees or hears them in the county I'd
love to hear about it.

Enjoy!

Mitch Ratzlaff
Dallas