[obol] another Lincoln Red-eyed Vireo

  • From: Darrel Faxon <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 21:54:20 -0700

This one was singing vociferously at  D Lake State Park at 3:00 p.m.  Mark
Elliot and I found it again at 5:15.  At that time I got a good look at it,
before having to leave.   Mark went back and eventually got excellent views
of it as it preened and sang.
      Directions.  In Lincoln City, turn east off US Highway 101 onto NE
6th Street.  Park along the chain link fence at the north end of the
cultural center.  Walk down the hill into the park. Go east past the
visitor center booth until you come to the last paved road running north.
Follow it a couple of hundred yards until you come to a paved trail leading
to a dock on the lake.  The vireo was singing in the alders about thirty
yards down the trail, primarily those on the south side of the trail, but
also on the north side.
    Birds can be strange.  I never recorded a Red-eyed Vireo in Lincoln
County until about three or four years ago.  Now I have found one three
different times, two of them this year.  Go figure.
    By the way, this park has good vagrant potential.  I have never had the
opportunity to bird there very much early in the day, but suspect that if
it were covered regularly during those hours from mid-May to mid June, it
would turn up some vagrants. The vireo there today suggests the hypothesis
is correct.

Darrel