[obol] Re: Yellow-throated Warbler homeowner issues

  • From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christopher Hinkle <christopher.hinkle2@xxxxxxxxx>, "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 17:51:03 -0800

Christopher et al:

My understanding is that what made them really angry were two separate posts
that stated the homeowner's address.

While there was no conscious intent on anyone's part except to help other
birders, it backfired. In the future please be careful about posting specific
addresses if it requires one to enter private property even if you have been
given permission. Please make sure that you have, in this case, all the
resident's approval before posting an address.

A bird that is viewable from a public road is another situation but even then
each has to be approached with consideration. Sometimes even our most innocent
actions can have unintended consequences. Then again there are the birders who
have willfully been obstinate and ruined it for the rest from around the
nation. There are many stories of even the most cooperative feeder/property
owners hosting a major rarity who wearied of birder visits. A recent example
was the Woodburn Brambling. The owner eventually had to ask people stop coming
to the yard, and yet some continued despite being given plenty of notice.

More importantly, in an age when birds desperately need us to inspire a love of
birds and to conserve habitat, let us not behave in ways that turn non-birders
off to birders.

Shawneen Finnegan
Portland, OR