[obol] Western Scrub Jay range size, longevity

  • From: Daniel Farrar <jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 14:41:42 -0700

OBOL,
    As some of you may know, I used to operate a MAPS banding station at
Fern Ridge wildlife area.  Today I got an interesting band recovery from
the very first Western Scrub Jay that we captured there.  The Jay was
initially banded on July 14, 2004 and was recovered May 12, 2013.  That
makes it 2 months shy of 9 years old.  Not too shabby for a Jay.  The
banding lab lists 15 and 11 years as the two oldest on record.
    Interestingly this bird was recovered a mere quarter mile from where it
was initially banded.  It was banded as a juvenile.  Did it not disperse?
Or was the banding station the final destination of the dispersal?  The
area is loaded with Garry Oak, so it makes sense it would stay there, but
it is interesting to think about when it got there and how far it traveled,
if at all, to get there.

Daniel Farrar
Dunes City, Oregon
jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx