[obol] Re: Use of Playback

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 12:17:34 -0700

Ok, one more point. Craig suggests Boreal Owls are "relatively rare". Are they really? Or is it that they occupy a habitat that is difficult to access and they are secretive and they sing when their habitat is usually inaccessible to most people? Or simply put, we have no idea how "common" or not they are....???

With that said, using playback at the same location by lots of people isn't a good idea, nor is disturbing the birds on their breeding grounds (or for that matter on any grounds!).

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 3/10/2015 11:41 AM, Craig Miller wrote:
I sort of started the conversation, so I suppose I ought to make a comment or
two about it. I appreciate, and pretty much agree with most of what people are
saying.

That said, I would like to point out that my comments applied to a very narrow, and I
think straightforward caveat that most commenters have made about when NOT to use
playback. To wit, NOW is breeding season for Boreal Owls, Boreal Owls are relatively rare
in Oregon, if a Boreal Owl location is given out to OBOL and other listserves, it is
likely that more than a few people would go looking for the owl, and likely play tapes.
At least one or two "bad apples" are likely to push playback past the bounds of
propriety.

So, this  particular situation pretty much fits into Paul Sullivan's, Dave
Lauten's, Joel Geier's, etc, caveats about potentially disturbing sensitive
species using playback. The safest course is to keep Boreal Owl locations to
yourself during their breeding season.

Cheers,

Craig Miller
Bend, OR