[obol] Re: Use of Playback

  • From: Craig Miller <gismiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 11:41:41 -0700

I sort of started the conversation, so I suppose I ought to make a comment or
two about it. I appreciate, and pretty much agree with most of what people are
saying.

That said, I would like to point out that my comments applied to a very narrow,
and I think straightforward caveat that most commenters have made about when
NOT to use playback. To wit, NOW is breeding season for Boreal Owls, Boreal
Owls are relatively rare in Oregon, if a Boreal Owl location is given out to
OBOL and other listserves, it is likely that more than a few people would go
looking for the owl, and likely play tapes. At least one or two "bad apples"
are likely to push playback past the bounds of propriety.

So, this  particular situation pretty much fits into Paul Sullivan's, Dave
Lauten's, Joel Geier's, etc, caveats about potentially disturbing sensitive
species using playback. The safest course is to keep Boreal Owl locations to
yourself during their breeding season.

Cheers,

Craig Miller
Bend, OR