[obol] Timber Nighhawks, Mountain Quail, Barred Owl (Washington Co)

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:57:05 -0400

The 3 of us watched 2 Common NIghthawks last night for about 15min as they were
working a clearcut about 0.5mi south of Timber, OR, right at sunset. We also
saw the male display a few times and do the racecar for us. At the same stop
were 2 well-seen Mountain Quail and we could hear a Sooty Grouse call in the
distance (kind of late for them).
2 youngster Barred Owls were staring at us at a site near the bottom of the
switchbacks a few miles south of Timber.

Many birds were still singing until late. In particular, the density of singing
Swainson's Thrushes in appropriate habitat (i.e. pretty much everywhere) is
maddening.
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR