[obol] Fern Ridge Golden-Plover

  • From: Linda Gilbert <oregonjunco@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 09:00:33 -0700

After consulting some more references, I would agree with Sally Hill's
assessment that this bird is most likely a PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER. I had the
National Geographic field guide with me at the time and the bird looked
intermediate between Pacific and American as far as the pattern of white on the
breast, flanks and undertail coverts. I thought the white stripe did bulge
forward on the sides of the breast as in the illustration for American and the
undertail coverts looked more than half black. National Geo said that the
undertail coverts should be mostly white on Pacific. Looking at photographs and
illustrations later, the white pattern I saw most closely matches Pacific. The
head and bill shape also indicate Pacific. I really couldn't see primary
projection. The wings appeared just slightly longer than the tail to me, which
also would point toward Pacific. Some illustrations I looked at showed Pacific
having quite a bit of black in the undertail coverts, which is what I saw.