[obol] Tillamook County highlights

  • From: Max Smith <oregonmax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 19:48:05 -0700

Sarah and I just returned to Portland after a few days in Pacific City. We
had some notable bird sightings today.

1. A lot of gull action along the beach Bob Straub State park, with MEW
GULLS foraging in the surf with SANDERLINGS and at least ten HERRING GULLS
and twenty HERRMANN's GULLS resting on the sand.

2. A raptor show along highway 101 near the Tillamook Air Museum. Within a
one-mile stretch we saw at least five WHITE-TAILED KITES, a RED-SHOULDERED
HAWK, several RED-TAILED HAWKS, a PEREGRINE FALCON, and an AMERICAN KESTREL.

We returned to our Multnomah Village neighborhood before sunset, but could
not find the Mountain Chickadees or Pygmy Nuthatch in the outfield pines.

Happy birding,

Max Smith