[obol] Yaquina Head & Newport - Mountain Chickadees, Orcas, Meadow Larks

  • From: "Nagi Aboulenein" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "aboulenein" for DMARC)
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 20:44:21 -0700

We had a pretty good day birding in the Newport area on Saturday.

We saw a pod of Orcas (4) from Yaquina Head Lighthouse observation deck, and
maybe 10-12 Mountain Chickadees in the trees by the main road, near the drive
down to the Quarry Cove. Also, maybe 200-300 Brown Pelicans on the various
rocks around the head. Likewise, what must have been another several hundred
Pelicans on or above Otter Rock.

While observing the resident female Northern Harrier at the Hatfield Marine
Sciences Center’s Nature Trail, we saw two Meadow Larks. One was already in
winter plumage, while the other was not yet (still bright yellow front, with
dark V on chest). Also saw two Caspian Terns and one Bald Eagle over the bay
while there.

--
Nagi Aboulenein & Taghrid Elmeligui