[obol] Re: Streaked Horned Lark late notice!

  • From: "Wayne Weber" <contopus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL2" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 13:21:29 -0700

Rich,

You cannot report a Streaked Horned Lark to eBird because that subspecies
cannot be identified with certainty in the field. (There are 21 subspecies
of Horned Larks in North America, most of which can be safely identified
only in the hand.) You can report a Horned Lark; in the Willamette Valley
between May and August, a Horned Lark would almost certainly be a Streaked
Horned Lark. You can also report a Horned Lark as being in one of 3 or 4
subspecies groups, but only one particular Horned Lark subspecies is listed
in eBird, and it's not the Streaked Horned Lark.

All the best,

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus@xxxxxxxxx