[obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Summary

  • From: Mike Unger <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Blog <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mid-Valley Bird Blog <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 09:57:25 -0700

*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Report*

Yesterday (October 1st), Barbara, Fred, Kay and I scouted Minto-Brown
Island Park in preparation for our Salem Audubon birding field trip on
*Wednesday,
October 7th at 7:00 a.m*. The four of us walked three miles as we covered
the west side of the park including along Homestead Road. It was a nice,
cool morning with mostly clear skies and temperatures of 45 degrees at the
start and 61 degrees at the finish. We observed (saw or heard) 38 species.

The highlights were as follows:

· Saw one *Bald Eagle *fly over us early in the scouting trip;

· There were at least 1,000 *Cackling Geese* that flew nearby during
the trip;

· We observed four species of woodpeckers including *Pileated
Woodpecker* (heard), *Downy Woodpecker*, *Red-breasted Sapsucker* and *Northern
Flicker*;

· We saw 16 *Wood Ducks* on the oxbow;

· We observed a *Red-breasted Nuthatch*, several *White-breasted
Nuthatches* and six *Brown Creepers*;

· The birds of the day were *Cedar Waxwings* (55) and *American
Robins* (42);

· We actually saw a couple of *Ruby-crowned Kinglets* and
several *Golden-crowned
Kinglets.* One of the *Ruby-crowned Kinglets* was seen at close range and
we could see the crest which was an orangey red in color.

The next field trip is at Minto-Brown Island Park on *Wednesday, October
7th at 7:00 a.m.* Meet at Parking Lot #3. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for October 1, 2015*

*Identified Species: 38*

1000 Cackling Goose (minima)
21 Canada Goose
16 Wood Duck