[obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Summary

  • From: Mike Unger <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mid-Valley Bird Blog <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Blog <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 14:23:13 -0700

*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Report*

Tim, Barbara, Fred and I scouted Minto-Brown Island Park in preparation
for our Salem Audubon birding field trip on *Monday, April 6th at 7:00 a.m*.
The four of us walked 4.2 miles as we covered the west side of the park.
It was a cool morning (37 degrees) with some fairly dense fog along the
river at the start. It warmed up to 52 degrees by the time we finished
around noon but it started to rain so we got done just in time. We got
good close looks at numerous birds since the trees have not fully leafed
out yet. The day was quite successful as we observed (saw or heard) 45
species.

The highlights were as follows:

· Saw a *Bald Eagle *flying above us as we ended the trip. We
checked the *Bald Eagle* nest across the river and it appeared that an
eagle was on the nest.

· We were surprised to see a *Fox Sparrow* along the path leading
west from Parking Lot #3;

· We saw one *Hutton’s Vireo* and heard another one;

· There were lots of *Orange-crowned Warblers* singing throughout the
trip;

· We heard four *Common Yellowthroats* and got a great view of
another one;

· Observed 10 *Brown Creepers *and saw several of them;

· Saw four *Osprey* that were the FOS for most of us;

· Observed 12 *Wood Ducks*; and

· Saw four pairs of *Bushtits* and several of their nests.

Please join us if you can on *Monday, April 6th at 7:00 a.m.* at Parking
Lot #3 at Minto-Brown Island Park for our field trip.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for April 3, 2015*

*Identified Species: 45*

35 Cackling Goose
8 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)
4 Canada Goose (parvipes)